Survey Background and Purpose
- Currently, youth unemployment is in dire situation. Youth are facing various difficulties employment as well as student loan, living cost, poverty, debt, lack of society for youth and more. To establish a policy to support them and solve the problems which are expanding these days, it is necessary to understand the characteristics which are unique to youth.
- Various environments surrounding youth are rapidly changing, and such environmental changes are expected to have greater impact on the lives of youth. However, there are not many data to accurately diagnose them and analyze the status of youth.
- Now, it conducts a representative survey that can understand the condition of youth in general and uses it as basic data to establish youth related support policies.
Survey Subject and Sample Design
- Survey Subject and Sample Size: Sample design with around 2,700 youth aging from 15 to 39 years old, residing in general household
- Sample Extraction Frame: Enumeration district
- Sample Extraction Method
- 1st: Probability proportional system extraction method in proportion to the number of households from each layer of the enumeration district
- 2nd: Household extraction by systematic extraction from enumeration district
- Sample Distribution Method: Stratified proportional distribution
Survey Method and Survey Period
- Survey Method: Individual visit and interview survey
- Survey Period: Between July and September every year
General items for ages between 15 to 39
General items, perspectives on marriage and children, education related perception, job-related perception, housing and household acquisition related perception, health and stress, happiness and values, human relations and social participation, etc.
Specific items for ages between 19 to 39
College life, job preparation and job training, economic activity status, etc.
Survey and Publication Cycle
- Survey and Publication Cycle: 1 year
- Statistical result table is published in December of the year, and data is released at the end of December 2 years after the completion of the study.
- Publication Range: Gender (male, female), age (15-18, 19-29, 30-39), region (Seoul, Incheon/Gyeonggi, Daejeon/Chungcheong/Sejong/Gangwon, Gwangju/Jeonra/Jeju, Busan/Ulsan/Gyeongnam, Daegu/Gyeongbuk)
- Education (Middle/High school students, College/Graduate school students, High school graduate or lower, college graduate or higher), Housing type (living with partner, living without partner/independent)
- 2013~2015: The Presidential Youth Committee commissioned National Youth Policy Institute to conduct a survey on the youth social and economic conditions in 2013 and 2015. Subjects of the survey were 1,000 youth residing in general households aged between 19 and 39 years old, and the survey was conducted by extracting samples by allocation sampling using the list of administrative districts for resident registration statistics.
- 2016: National Youth Policy Institute conducted a survey on the youth social and economic conditions as its own task at the request of the Presidential Youth Committee. Subjects of the survey were 2,534 youth aged between 15, age when their economic activities began, and 39 years old, residing in general households. The statistical office count was used as a sampling frame, and a sample was extracted using the probability proportional system extraction method.
- 2017: Through statistical procedures approved by National Statistical Office, National Youth Policy Institute used the enumeration district of the 2010 Population and Housing Census to extract samples using the probability proportional system extraction method. It conducted the survey with national statistics approval.